Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas?

I'm beginning to think it's not so merry. My grandfather passed away last night after battling heart disease, failing kidneys, and leukemia. Then I find out just moments ago that a very close friend's father passed away this afternoon from the cancer he'd been fighting for a while now. How odd to be thinking of mortality when everyone else is thinking about birth. That's what Christmas is supposed to be about, beginnings. A celebration of the birth of a Savior. Yet somehow it's fitting to consider death in the midst of all the merriment. Jesus was born to die for us, that we may be free. I know beyond a shadow of doubt that my grandfather, C.W. Davidson, and my close friend Ed Wosotowsky are both with Jesus right now, both free from their pain, as the whole world celebrates his birthday.

Remember as you celebrate this joyous season that the baby in a manger grew up to hang on a cross, paying the ultimate price for our sin that we may be free.

Merry Christmas †

No comments: